Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Merry RUNmas!

I hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas! As much as I love my family, our Christmas was really boring with just the 4 of us.

Anyway, I'M RUNNING AGAIN! Yay. Sunday, I decided it was now or never and bundled up before heading over to Oak Openings and one of my favorite trails. Since I was just dipping my toes back in the water, I alternated 2 minutes walking with 3 minutes running for the 3 miles. Once I got back to the car, I was happy to be out there again, but a little disappointed because then I knew I could have pushed myself harder. Apparently I'm in better shape than I thought I was (insert sigh of relief here).

So, today I was determined to go back to the same trail and pay more attention to how my body felt rather than following timed intervals. I was a little distracted because we were FINALLY getting some snow and I love being in the woods when it snows, but it still went really well. I ran the whole 3+ miles and only stopped twice ... once so I didn't run straight into a flock of turkeys who were crossing the trail and again when I tripped. I was paying more attention to the snow than I was to the trail and I caught my toe on a root that was partially hidden with old leaves. Of course, I went sprawling out. My knee got a little scraped (though not my running tights, amazingly) and my right ankle ached for the next half mile, but I was fine. I wasn't running very fast, but now I know I still have a decent base.

I think I'm going to spend the rest of my runs before my New Years double 5ks working on my speed on pavement. Besides, we're supposed to get a couple inches of snow over the next couple days and it'll be easier if I can just run from home ... plus I can't wait to get back to group run tomorrow night. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment