Tuesday, February 14, 2012

A Hard "Easy" Run and V-Day Snow

Yesterday was just one of those days you wish you could fast-forward through. I woke up with a monster headache and it took FOR-EV-ER (who knows what movie THAT is from?) for the pain meds to kick in. I decided to just work from home since I didn't want to wait for the meds to start working, fight for a parking spot, and then sit in the lab and listen to the ongoing construction, possibly bringing back and making worse my headache. My stomach has been iffy all weekend too (since Saturday morning) and yesterday wasn't any different. Despite all this, I decided I needed to get in my 5-mile "easy" run. Another "new" route. This one took me past several friends' houses and barns. Kim @ (Just) Trying is for Little Girls has her cow running buddies and I have my horses. I slowed down and got off the road at the corner of 1 friend's property and went over to say hi to Joker since he was in the enclosure closest to the road. This horse cracks me up. He couldn't care less about people or other animals ... unless you whistle for him (yes, like a dog) and then you're BEST buddies. I whistled as I got up next to the fence and he immediately perked up and came over to get his nose scratched. When I took off again, he trotted the length of the fence with me and threw a whinnying and stomping fit when he couldn't follow me any further. [Maybe I'll have to bring him a treat or something later today.] Anyway, this run was SLOW and not exactly painful, but certainly NOT comfortable. I had a stitch in my side less than a mile into the run and it lasted the WHOLE time. But, I never walked (except when I was scratching Joker). I never found a comfortable breathing rhythm, and believe me when I tell you I TRIED. I chose not to look down at my Garmin because I was just concentrating on putting one foot in front of another and finishing the stupid run ... oh, and playing an obnoxious game of leap frog with the mail truck on the highest-traffic road on this route. SO fun. NOT. I realized my legs were loosening up during the 3rd mile, but I didn't realize I was picking up the pace:
Not too shabby, I guess. I was practically dry-heaving by the time I got home (sorry for the tmi ... my stomach REALLY didn't appreciate my determination to get in my run). I don't think I could have done it if I hadn't taken Sunday as a complete rest day. As soon as I got home, I scarfed down some oatmeal and a banana, showered in the hottest water I could coax from our pathetic water heater, and crawled in bed for the rest of the day with my laptop and remote control. At least I caught up on my Downton Abbey (ADDICTED!) and Big Bang Theory (also addicted). :)

I promise I won't rant about "Singles Awareness Day". I gave up hating the single life years ago. I'm just indifferent now. I've taken the path of "If it happens, cool. If not, I have plenty to do in my own life before I even think about settling down." My resolve seems to be tested on a weekly basis with all the people I know getting married and/or pregnant, but whatever. But Happy Valentines Day to those of you who ARE celebrating! My mom, as always, bought my brother and I V-Day cards. For the first time EVER, though, she's finally listened and nixed the insane amounts of candy in favor of gift cards. Panera (YUMMY!) and Kroger (grocery store) for me. I love my mom. :)

Another V-Day present from Mother Nature ... SNOW! There was almost an inch on the ground (and still coming down) when I went out to my car this morning. On a whim, I checked the tv before I left the house. My home school district had a 2-hour delay. So did the in-town districts (and it normally takes a MAJOR storm to delay them!). Lucky boogers. I understood why once I got out onto the road. I don't think twice when our neighborhood's road is crappy. Even when a plow truck DOES make an appearance, they rarely do a very good job clearing the pavement (we still have ice and packed snow from Friday night/ Saturday morning). Anyway, I didn't see ONE plow truck on my normally 25-30-minute commute or any evidence they had been out AT ALL. Now, I'm pretty comfortable driving in the snow. My dad took great care when I was learning how to drive to teach me how to react to just about any weather condition (Learning to drive from a semi-driver = best idea ever. Also, a wide open icy parking lot and purposely spinning yourself so you can learn how to pull out of one = SO much fun!). It's the people AROUND me who scare the crap out of me. There was no way I could have gone over 40 mph on this one road (I have all-wheel drive and I was still slipping around) and some a-hole rode my back bumper for over 2 miles and then passed me, wheels slipping and spinning and car not-exactly-straight. I passed him about another mile down the road with his rear end slid into a shallow drainage ditch next to the road. *rolls eyes* If the weather guy is correct (and that's a 50/50 chance), we'll be up in the high 30s/ low 40s by this afternoon and the snow will be gone by Thursday. Boo!

Ok, that's it. I'm going to go peek my head out of my basement lab and see what the weather is doing ... Being down here SERIOUSLY messes with my head. I can go an entire week without seeing sunlight if I'm working on a project and I bring my lunch every day. Another "fancy" coffee (according to my department chair/ professor) sounds pretty darn good too. Have a great day everyone!

1 comment: