Saturday, March 24, 2012

Thursday's Group Run and the Boot Camp Class that wasn't ...

I knew this morning was going to be an early wake up call, but I didn't think it would be before 5:30am. Ugh. Normally I would sleep through mom and her coworkers meeting up to head to the airport (they all met at our house and one of the husbands was going to shuttle them), but I think I never really got to a deep sleep state last night so I was already almost awake. The lucky dogs, they're heading to Las Vegas for a financial aid conference. Mom insists they won't have any time for fun, but she said that last time and still managed to bring home stuff from Coyote Ugly and Chippendale's. All work, no play, my boney behind! lol

Anyway, I got up as soon as they left for the airport since I *KNEW* I'd never be able to fall back into restful sleep. I've tried in the past and ended up just rolling back and forth trying to get comfortable, like I do at night, never really drifting off because I know the alarm will be going off soon. Oh well. I may as well get used to crazy early mornings again if I plan on attending the 6:15am classes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'll readjust soon enough.

My comment last time about gorgeous weather for the group run was obviously wishful thinking. I could hear rumbles off in the distance as I was driving over to Levis, but I figured it would hold off until JUST after we were done. Again, wishful thinking. We weren't even a quarter mile from the store during the run and the sky opened up. And I'm not talking sprinkles, I'm talking downpour so hard you have a hard time seeing and are soaked instantly ... for about a mile. I've run in the rain before (I enjoy it), but I don't think my shoes have ever gotten that ... sloshy. Sure, we'll go with sloshy. Luckily I was wearing a tank top and shorts, both tech material, so those dried out relatively quick. The only thing that REALLY bothered me about the run was that my iPod died within 5 minutes. Oops. This totally blew my concentration for the rest of the 3 miles. I still averaged a very respectable 10:07/mile, but I know I could have done better. Oh, and the running club photographer was there that night too. It figures he's never gotten a picture of me at a race and then he comes to group and gets shots like these ...




Believe me when I tell you these 3 are the best of the pictures of me. Ugh.

And if you haven't guessed by the title of this post ... Boot camp didn't happen this morning. I drove in and sat there with 2 other people for 20 minutes before the one woman called her husband to check her email. Class was canceled on Thursday, she never checked her email. And the instructor never emailed me. *Sigh* Fine then. I guess the woman at the front desk shot off an email to him because I got a message from him a couple hours later apologizing and saying he thought I had been included in the email. Obviously not. So, I wasted an hour and a half, and some expensive gas, driving to Sylvania and back.

Since I was already dressed, I just changed shoes when I got home and headed out for a run right away before I could sit down and get lazy. Running in the fog was pretty cool, don't think I've run in that low of visibility before. Just to be safe, I jumped on the W-C Trail (south fork) and ran an out-and-back. The run itself was a serious mental battle. I'd slow down, knowing I need to conserve energy for more miles, but then I'd get bored and speed up again to the point my side would ache. Bah. I ended up running 6.2 miles in 1:08:17, which is an average pace of 11:01/mile. Not too shabby. I know I didn't wear my race bib, but I'm thinking about using this run for Spatula Runner's Virtual 10k. I'll think about it tonight. I know I won't be competitive, time-wise, with the other people running this, but it was a semi-solid run for me and I don't know if I'll be able to pull out another 6.2 miler before the end of the virtual run.

I want to write more, but I'm just mentally exhausted right now. I've already warned dad he needs to go buy the paper in the morning because I'm sleeping in. No alarm clock. I just need tonight and tomorrow morning to decompress and mentally work through some crap before I go back to being a drone on Monday. 

Hope everyone has a good weekend! Good luck to everyone racing! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment