Sunday, July 10, 2011

SideCut Metro and NEW BOOKS!

My Barnes & Noble discount thingy expired today (and being in the house was driving me nuts) so I decided it'd be a good time to go check out the "new" B&N @ the Fallen Timbers Mall. I'm still not sold on the need for us to have a mall out here (especially one like this) since Westfield Franklin Park is about a half hour away and Levis Commons is just up the road in P-Burg. But, it is nice to have some of my favorite stores that much closer, I guess. And having the mall there means it did't get turned into more subdivisions and over-crowd AW schools that much faster. *grumbles*sellout*grumble*

Anyway, I had something of a list of books I was considering buying when I went in (most having to do with my latest obsession, running). I ended up buying "Runner's Word Complete Book of Women's Running" by Dagny Scott Barrios and "The NonRunner's Marathon Guide For Women: Get Off Your Butt And On With Your Training" by Dawn Dais. I've heard rave reviews of both, so I'm optimistic. I figure if I just learn a bit more about how to run effectively or get a couple laughs, it'll be worth the money I spent. Maybe I should add another widget to my sidebar on here of books in my "read" pile. *deep thoughts*


I bought myself my calender for next year too. I'm so picky about my calenders because I carry it everywhere and it has to be laid out in a way that it's easy for me to use (or I won't use it). This one is small enough I have tuck it in my purse ... and it's freaking adorable! This picture (below) is of this year's, but it's the same cover design. Normally I don't like designs like this, but this one just made me smile. :)

I decided since I was out this way, I'd stop at SideCut Metropark and scope out the trails over there. I've lived this close for almost 20 years and I can't remember ever going there! The short Canal Locks Trail is just too stinking cute. It's only a half mile long, but the overlooks around the canals and all the stone steps would be absolutely perfect for senior or engagement/wedding pictures. I'll have to keep that in mind if I'm still living in the area if/when I find some guy brave enough to marry me. lol. Since I had my running clothes with me, I decided to suit up and head out on the Fallen Timbers trail for a recon run. All I can say is thank God I didn't have any expectations. It isn't a BAD trail, it just isn't very good for a hot sunny day like today. It's mostly grass/brushlands and the trail itself is almost completely grass. I wore my "pavement" shoes so I was a bit miffed at first. I tried to run for the first mile or so, then I just gave up. It was too stinkin' warm, I was over-heating and going through my water far too fast. I don't know how people can run without carrying water, honestly. I suck down a ridiculous amount and still occasionally get dehydration headaches. Even with walking as much as I did, I ran out about a mile from the end and was seriously dragging a$$ by the time I got back to the car.

Just another learning experience, I guess. At least now I know better ... and I got this week's code word for that park. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment