Monday, August 22, 2011

First Day of the Semester

First of all, can I say how FREAKING AMAZING it was to wake up to my bedroom at a crisp 55*? I'm the kind of girl who LOVES sleeping snuggled down under multiple layers of blankets and I can't exactly do that without suffocating during the warmer months. Damn Ohio and our erratically variable weather. lol

It may be the first day of the semester/school year, but that doesn't mean much for someone like me who's paying more attention to the deadlines to be able to defend my final paper and presentation and finish my degree. I'm not taking or teaching any classes and I don't come into campus more than 2-3 times a week. I work on my paper 7 days/ week, but there is no point in me driving the 20 minutes to campus every day when all I'm going to do is sit in my basement lab and work on my laptop. It's a rare thing for anyone to come downstairs looking for me (actually, it's a rare thing for even my masters advisor to TELL me he needs to see me. *rolls eyes*) and I just lost my basement PIC to his PhD program in southern Florida. Oh well. A couple more months and I will be done. Completely. Finally.

I had an ok run yesterday. I wanted to do a 6-miler and it was already sunny and warm by the time I got around to being ready to work out, so I grudgingly went down to the basement to make friends with the treadmill. It turned out to be a good decision as we got a freak shower right around mile 4. Mom ran downstairs just to let me know "how lucky I was". I normally can't watch tv while running, but I got caught up in an episode of "Operation Repo" and it made my run so much easier. I'm not quite sure why, but I can run longer and steadier on the treadmill than I can when I have to pace myself. My FINAL time was 88:43, but the first and last 1/2 mile were my warm up and cool down. I DID, however, run over 3 miles continuously, which made me ecstatic.

Despite being the first day of the semester, mom and I are leaving campus early. A friend of mine is getting married this afternoon (don't look at me, I don't know what the hell she was thinking either). The wedding itself is private and earlier in the afternoon, so only mom and I are available, but there's a pretty big gap of time before the reception so we'll be able to head home and pick up dad and Sean. Oh, and did I mention it's a renaissance theme and the bride and her grandma made all the bridal party's outfits ... including her dress? Oh yea. This should be interesting. I really am happy for Sarah and Josh, it's just a weird day and time to get married.

No comments:

Post a Comment