Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Oh, hello Tuesday

Tuesday is, so far, turning out infinitely better than Monday (watch me jinx it now). Like I said in my post Saturday, I didn't get to run that day and then I didn't run Sunday or yesterday either. I felt like crap from all the party food Saturday and Sunday and then Monday's weather decided to turn to crap just as soon as I got ready to pack up my computer for the day and head out to the trail. As I was driving home, I had every intention of running on the treadmill before dinner, but I sat down on my bed to take off my shoes and was woken up 2 hours later by dad banging on my door and yelling that dinner was ready. Oh well.

So, I set my alarm for the usual 5:30am today and got myself out of bed and out the door around 6am (when I judged it safe enough to head out on the streets ... I really do need to get some "gear" for dark running. The days are only getting shorter). I managed to get in my 3.77 miles looping up to Weckerly and then turning back on Davis and Obee, but boy could I feel my crappy diet and lack of exercise the past couple days. I met up with a woman who lives in the next neighborhood over on my run and laughed at her description of this morning's weather: "The temperature is like Carolina in the early spring, but good lord this humidity is like the devil's sauna!" The thermometer on our back deck was reading 72* when I got home, but I didn't think to check the weather sensors at the airport for the humidity. It was probably upwards of 75-80%. I had to wear one of my old cotton tee shirts with the arms cut off since all my tech tees are dirty (I can wear dirty shorts every day, but I can't stand to wear a dirty sports bra or shirt) and I swear I was wearing as much water as I had started off with in my water bottle. Ugh. At least it was a good run. I couldn't tell you 1 song I listened to on my iPod, other than Britney Spears, but I know I would have gone crazy running along the road if I hadn't had my iPod. Breakfast was kind of fun for me. I warned mom and Sean last night that I was going to make myself a smoothie for breakfast so when I left this morning on my run, I got a giggle seeing both bedroom doors shut tight and (obviously) pillows shoved along the bottom of Sean's door. Mom's blender is kind of loud. lol. Really, I may need to make breakfast smoothies more often. I just threw in some orange juice, banana, frozen mixed berries, and half a scoop of my protein powder. It turned out really yummy and lasted me pretty much until my oatmeal around 10am. It sure beats my normal breakfast of Diet Coke and a Snickers bar from the vending machine on campus. lol.

If the rest of today can hold out on the "good" side, I'll be happy. There's a storm rolling in again (yep, another one) and I'm hoping it will either hold off until I can finish this post, get a couple more emails answered, and get home, or just blow and pour like crazy and get it over with before I can leave. Either way, there's no point in my spending much longer in the lab today. Advisor-man is out doing fieldwork with one of the newer grad students and I can do just as much work sitting at home as I can in this dank little basement lab on campus.

Now for some fun stuff ...

Jen over at Runner ... maybe? has a great give-away going on with Spibelt. I currently run with a belt from Nathan's, but it is bare-bones basic (bought at the last second for my first 5k) and I'm always looking for better ways to carry my "gear" when I run (especially as I start running longer distances without my iPod/arm strap). Go check out the blog, follow it, and then check out Spibelt on FB and Twitter!


  1. Thanks for reposting about the SPIBelt. hope you have a great day.

  2. Yay for good days :) That breakfast smoothie does sound yummy!